New Year, new me! That’s usually what people say, but outside of maybe a few Christmas pounds (don’t stress, I’m working on it) and the consideration for a new hair colour, this is the same mama from last year.
Though we’re two weeks into the new year, I’m still reflective about the areas I want to improve this year. Chief among them has been how to be more intentional about family time and create fun memories within my little unit. After some research and feasibility considerations, I started making a list of things to do – a bucket list of sorts, filled with activities we can do this year (and for years to come).
I decided to document and share these ideas with you. Feel free to use it as an inspiration if you wish to brainstorm ideas for your family’s bucket list!
What is a bucket list?
A bucket list is usually done by terminally ill patients who catalogue what they want to achieve before they die. This definition has evolved over time however to mean more than just that. Today, a bucket list is a collection of goals and aspirations that a person would like to achieve within their lifetime to maximize their life experiences.
The term stems from the phrase “kick the bucket,” which means to die. There are a variety of types of bucket lists you can make – from travel bucket lists to seasonal bucket lists – but this blog post will chronicle activities for families to do indoors and outdoors.
Indoor Bucket List Activities
- Build an epic fort in the living room
- Have a family games night
- Make your favourite meal from scratch together
- Try a new food together
- No screen day
- Themed movie day/night marathon
- Make a new recipe together
- Host a Family Talent Show
Backyard Bucket List Activities
- Go camping in your backyard
- Take a long walk around the community
- Plant a garden
- Have pool day
- Run through the sprinklers together
- Have a picnic
- Decorate the driveway using sidewalk chalk
- Have a water balloon fight
Outdoor Bucket List Activities
- Go bowling together
- Go river tubing
- Climb a falls
- Visit a historic location
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Take a road trip
- Watch your family’s favourite sports team live
- Be a tourist (Visit an attraction in every parish in Jamaica)
Relationship Building Bucket List Activities
- Say “I love you” more
- Listen more (Give your undivided attention)
- Take a keen interest in each other’s lives
- Hug and kiss each other frequently
- Say “I am proud of you” often
- Celebrate each other’s accomplishments, big or small
There you have it, Villagers. My list of things to do with my family. Of course, this is not exhaustive, as I’m sure we’ll think of more things to do as time goes by. But for now, we’ll work on doing all these activities ASAP and create fun memories together. After all, it’s the simple things in life that really matter and make you happy.